Monday, April 15, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Day 13: M is for Maintenance!


I'm participating the this crazy challenge on 2 of my blogs. This one and Paranormal Lounge. The A to Z Challenge is a blogging event that takes place every April. The challenge is to write a post for each letter of the alphabet and post nearly every day during April, omitting Sundays.

My theme for this challenge is: Marketing is like war. I'm going to try to stick to that theme as much as possible, but I may have to deviate. M is for Maintenance.

Today, we are talking about maintenance. In marketing, that means maintaining your image and your audience. In order to do that, you need to stay in touch with your followers on all your social media platforms.

Engaging with your followers helps you get a larger following and works towards building a positive image. It's easy to do. Simply pick a few questions each day and post them to your social media profiles. Then, talk to whoever responds. Take an hour or so out of your day to do this. You can even multitask if you turn on the notification sounds on Facebook and Hootsuite. (Or by checking them every few minute while you complete other tasks.)

Another way to maintain your image is to keep your profile updated with the right info. That includes infor about your books and other professional ventures. You don't need to worry about the personal stuff unless you want to. Just be careful what you share.

As for maintaining your audience, be sure to retweet them, respond to every comment, and FOLLOW BACK! Worried that those new followers are only following til you do, then unfollowing? Use Manage Flitter. You can easily see who isn't following and unfollow them. Following--especially on twitter--shows that you are supporting them and they are supporting you. It's a sign of respect and gratitude, so until you sell millions and get too many followers to ever possibly follow back, just do it.

Personally, I hate seeing people on twitter who have let's say 5,000 followers and are only following a few hundred. It makes me feel like they think they are too good to follow back. A big ego does not get you more followers. And for the love of God, don't do one of those "Get 10,000 followers now!" things.

Did you know that it was recently discovered that about HALF of Justin Beibers' followers were fake. Yeah. Dummy accounts and inactive accounts all over. I have a feeling he used a follow service. Do you know how ridiculous that makes him look? Especially since he was supposed to have the most followers?

So, maintaining a healthy image and maintaining your audience go hand in hand. Don't forget that it's called SOCIAL media for a reason. Stay social, my friends!

6 comments:

  1. Only an hour? That's all I need to do? This maintaining my image thing takes all day for me! (Although, I'm fairly addicted to twitter now, so that's okay). I think I spread myself out too much. I need an assistant. Or a nap.

    (Dropping in from the AZ Challenge. Awesome post :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can do as long as you'd like, but I recommend at least an hour. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hello, my friend... I am not a tweeter, nor a twitterer (is that a word?), however I do Facebook, but not for the purpose of blogging. It is just to keep up with what is going on in the lives of my friends that I really know. My blogging, a lot of it, is simply that I write because I must. I'm not asking for followers, but just for someone to come and read my fiction. If they like it, they will come back. I am also a quilter, and do lots of other stuff during the day. Best regards to you, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using Justin Bieber as an example might be bad. I doubt Bieber has anything to do with who he follows or who follows him because he's so famous. If half are dummy accounts, then those are probably created to try and get some of his legit followers to bleed over to their accounts for some kind of marketing.

    Anyway, this is great advice. I'd never heard of Manage Flitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may not have done it, I suppose, but it's possible that one of his people did. Either way, it's not a huge deal since all people see when they look at his account is tons of followers. I'm just saying that when it came out that half were dummy accounts, it did look bad on him and perhaps next time they should refrain from using follow services.

      Thank you for stopping by and offering your opinion! Discussion is always welcome on The Pepper Press!

      Delete