Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Competition is tough--Take it from me.

Along with the indie revolution, comes extremely low prices on books. Most are around $3-$5 dollars for dgital copies. SOme are een as low as $.99. This is where I'm struggling. Yes. I'm admitting that I am struggling with the competition. My book is published through a small publisher, and I really love my publisher. They have done so much for me. My book is also $7 for a digital copy. That's al least $2 more than my competition and most often $4 more than my competition. That's more than double their price.

So what's a girl to do? I know WHAT I have to do. I just don't really know HOW to do it.

What I have to do:
I have to convince people that my book is worth the $7 price tag.

How can I do that?
How do I tell people that my book is worth the price without telling people that my book is "better" than others or that it's "higher-quality" than others? I can't do that because there are so many good indie books out there that are just as good and sometimes better than mine. Granted some are worse, but it's not like I'm going to point them out.

How do I say that my vampire series is the best without actually saying it? How do I convince people to spend those extra dollars on my story instead of buying that other one for $3?

Right now I'm trying out the old post-a-quote-from-a-review trick. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm also testing out facebook ads by running a week long campaign, so I'll let you know how that one goes too with stats and a short report.

This is the hard part about marketing. It's something I'm really struggling with and all I can do is hope that something I'm trying eventually works. Take it from me, if you want to sell books, you either need a great contract from a big publishing company, or you'll have to compete with the low indie prices.

Tomorrow we'll discuss the right ways and wrong ways to associate your book with best sellers. Why telling people out-right that your book is as good as the Twilight series is bad and posting stuff about Twilight on facebook is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment