Friday, March 29, 2013

Author Interviews: John Lenahan


By Jacob Donley

John Lenahan began his career as a magician before tipping his hand into the writing arena. His series, Shadowmagic, has shown increasing popularity. John’s use of the Celtic myths, legends, and heroes is imaginative and fun for readers of all ages.

I had the opportunity to interview John.

[FFQ] Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m and American, with an Irish passport, living in London who as I write is currently on a cruise ship in the Bay of Bengal 500 nautical miles from Thailand.
Writing isn’t (yet) my day job.  My day job is entertaining.  I’m a magician/comedian and these days do a lot of work on cruise liners.  It’s a great job if you are a writer.  They cook and clean for you, the phone never rings and I only work two nights a week.  Yes it is as good as it sounds.

I’ve made it into my fifth decade without ever going bankrupt and I have a 21 year old son whose name you will find in the dedication page of my first novel – Shadowmagic.  I live in London with my exotic veterinarian girlfriend, (whose name is on the dedication page of my second novel – The Prince of Hazel & Oak) her 110 year-old tortious, a bearded dragon lizard, two rabbits and fish.

[FFQ] Can you share a little of your current work with us?

At the moment I’m working on a murder mystery set in the mountains of North Eastern Pennsylvania where my family had had a cottage by a lake since the 1950s.  I’m finding it a real challenge.  I thought writing about a place I knew so well would be easy but I think writing about places I make up is easier.

[FFQ] What challenges did you come across in getting your first book published?

I wrote Shadowmagic as an intellectual exercise.  I read an article that said if you write 1000 words a day you had to have a novel after seven months.  (The article went on to say it wouldn’t necessarily be a good novel.) I couldn’t fault the logic so I tried it.  I didn’t try very hard to get it published and it sat in a drawer while life made other plans for me.  Then I discovered the website www.podiobooks.com where authors read their works and an audiobook podcast.  It’s free to subscribe but the website solicits donations and gives the authors 75%.  I thought what the heck and podcasted it.

From the start the response was remarkable and I ended up the highest rated book on the website. That caught the attention of Harper Collins and they asked if they could publish the book.

[FFQ] Can you tell us about your upcoming book?

The Sons of Macha, is the third and last instalment of the Shadowmagic Series.  In it adversaries of the house of Duir, that were thought long gone, come back to predicate a war with the Banshees

[FFQ] Who designed the covers?

Liam Relph.

[FFQ] Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

If all of my fan’s write glowing reviews on their Facebook pages I can live in the manner I would like to be accustomed.

www.podiobooks.com
http://www.johnlenahan.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment