Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Why does your book need it's own business card?

Hello everyone! Today I'm talking about the concept of your book having it's own business card. I'm not sure if I came up with this concept on my own or if other have done it before. Either way, it's a good tool to have in your marketing toolbox.

First, let me tell you what my book's business card looks like. The card has the cover on the front, and on the back, it has the tag line "Paradise never looked so dangerous . . ." followed by the website www.mysticstonesseries.blogspot.com and then "Available now in print and ebook formats on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Smashwords."

I said in the previous article that you could put a QR code on there. The ones I have presently do not, but I will be putting one on next time I print since they are becoming more and more popular.

What uses does this card have? What uses doesn't it have? These cards can be handed out, sent in giveaway packages, left non-chalantly on the floor of a bookstore or library, given to people who ask you about your book, and even used as book marks. Your personal business card just tells people how to reach you and what you do, while your book business card teases people with it's interesting tag line and eye-catching cover image, while also telling them where they can find your BOOK, not where they can find you. How many people do you know that take an author's business card and think, "Man, I better go to their website and see what books they have written, maybe there is one for me."

What? None of your friends have ever done that? Thought so. Your book's business card tells them about the book, which is the main thing you are trying to sell. It's like a car salesman sending you a picture of himself, when what you really want is the picture of the CAR.

Business cards are so easy to carry too. Since most people are reading ebooks these days anyways, it's no longer necessary to carry four books with you everywhere you go--just in case. Nope, now you can carry one and your book's business cards and be able to actually carry your purse.

Another thing, I always feel awkward, pulling out my own book to show people when they ask about it. It makes me feel like a door-to-door saleswoman. Now, I can pull out the business card and mention that I have a book with me, rather than practically saying, "Hey! Here's my book! It's right in front of you! You need to buy it! Can't you see it right here? Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!"

Okay. I think we've covered the subject pretty well. I'm going to wrap it up for the week since Blogger Book Fair starts tomorrow. That is an awesome event that you can't miss. I've been working very hard on organizing it, so please stop by and explore, maybe you will decide to participate in the next one!

Next week, we'll talk about using Facebook, Twitter and Google+ in the best ways possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment