Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Let's talk about Twitter promoting!

Okay, so twitter is a little confusing when you first start out. There is some good news though, it gets easy very quickly. Imagine twitter as one long conversation and not everyone is on the same page. Some are talking about one subject while others are talking about another. The trick is to jump into one of those conversations (appropriately of course) and add your own two cents.

Now. If you are just starting out, you'll need to gain followers otherwise, no one will listen when you start to talk. So as you open up your first twitter account, tweet once about how excited you are to be there or what you'd like to tweet about. Basically, just introduce yourself. When people go to follow you, they will want to check out your past tweets first.

Gaining followers is easy. Most people follow back, so start out by following people with similar interests. There is a search field on twitter where you can type in "books" or something and it will bring up tweets about books, people related to books and more. Follow people who seem to tweet about the same things you would.

Next, you  must learn the art of retweeting. Retweeting, is taking one persons' tweet and repeating it, or relaying it to your followers. THIS MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY! People love being retweeted. Why? Because it gives them a bigger reach and gains them followers. If others realize that you are helping them out they are more likely to follow you and when the time comes, they are more likely to help you out in return by retweeting one of your tweets.

When retweeting, be sure to tweet promotional tweets with links, or something that is funny or meaningful. Don't retweet some one's conversation with another person. Even though all tweets are open, (unless some one has a private account) sometimes people hold personal conversations on twitter with one or more of their friends. You must decipher these and other tweets that are not appropriate to retweet.

Now that you are gaining followers, it's time to tweet some of your own promotional tweets. This can be done by hand at first, but you will begin to notice that people follow so many others, that their feed can get super busy and one tweet can easily get overlooked. Therefore, for more visibility, I suggest getting an account with hootsuite.com. You can add your social media sites to this account and schedule tweets to go automatically when you aren't even at your computer. What's more, is that hootsuite now has a nifty little button you can push that automatically schedules your tweets for the busiest times of the day. That means even more visibility!

That's all I've got for now! Come back tomorrow to talk about the sensitive subject of Goodreads.

6 comments:

  1. Is Hootsuite a paid service? Looking forward to the goodreads topic tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Hootsuite is free, they do have some advanced features that you can pay for, but I've gotten by without having to pay for anything so far. You can also add facebook to hootsuite, but I use it mainly for twitter.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of hootsuite but will definitely give it a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you use it, you'll never want to give it up!

      Delete
  3. I'm holding on to being 'really me' out there. Im afraid if I start up with Hootsuite that I will become so automated that I will not be able to respond at the right times and it will make me look bad. I am not completely sure what I want to do with Twitter, just use it to promote my blog and writing, or to enhance the sense of community that I have with my readers. I get way more comment and conversation on Twitter than I do on my blog or even on my Facebook Fan page. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. You must have a "presense" online. You need to interact--that's why it's called "social media" right? When using hootsuite, I mainly use it for tweets with links to my book or to direct people to my blog. I also tweet personally each day and interact with people when ever I get the chance. So I do both regular tweeting to get personal and use hootsuite tweeting for those promotional tweets.

      Delete