Saturday, October 13, 2012

Author Interview: Jacob Donley

Interview with Jacob Donley

Tell me a little about yourself . . .

I'm from Central Illinois. I grew up on a farm with my 3 brothers and my sister. I've done the drive a tractor, pulling a plow through the field, bail hay, and show pigs and steers thing; So, I've done the real farmer thing. I grew up with it. I'm from a really small farm community that I didn't appreciate as much as I should have. I'd love to move back there some day soon. I was really big into sports and played football, basketball, and baseball all through high school, and I even played a year of football at Monmouth College. But, eventually, I moved on and graduated from Illinois State University with my Bachelor's degree in English. Currently, I'll be finishing up my Master's degree in Psychology in May '13.

What do you enjoy the most about writing?

I enjoy the creation more than anything. I love being able to think up characters and these fantastical worlds that they live in. It's like reading your favorite book everyday, except you decide where they go and what they do.

What do you enjoy most about reading?

Reading is slightly different than writing. I think it is being able to explore someone else's world. Wanting to know what happens next but not being in control of that is just as fun as knowing where they're going to go. You fall in love with the characters and where they live and don't want to see that end.

Who was the most influential person in your life when you were younger?

I would have to say my grandparents. I spent a lot of time up at my grandpa and grandma's farm growing up (my dad's parents). I also did a lot of horseback riding with my mom's parents while I was growing up. We would spend two weeks every summer camping and horseback riding. It was some of the most fun I've ever hide in those two places, my grandparent's farm and horse back riding/camping.

Who is your favorite character of all time? Which book(s) did they come from and who wrote it?

Drizzt Do'urden is probably one my favorite characters of all time. He is a character of R.A. Salvatore's. He is the star in a lot of books from him. He is a dark elf that turns away from the evil ways of his people and goes to the surface to find a new life.

Why did you pick revenge as one of the themes for your flash fiction piece?

Revenge is one of the most powerfully passionate responses that a human can feel. Revenge is fueled by hate and can drive men/women to insanity; it can drive them when everything else fades away. It is the perfect response to the situation I created in "What a Piece of Jerky?"

Jacob Donly is a poet and author. He is hard at work perfecting his first novel, Shindarin Rising, but in the mean time you can check out his short stories and poetry:

Short stories:
Chronicles of a Rock Troll: New Beginning
Tracer's Lament
To Kill a King (The Worlds Traveler)

Poetry:
A Memory Road

For Pepper Press flash fiction challenges, he has written:
What a Piece of Jerky! (2012 Horror Flash Fiction Challenge)

Links to Jacob:

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment